Wednesday, March 25, 2020

67 Heroes

 There's Julian Javier linking arms with Lou Brock and Bob Gibson, and below a scene on the mound. In 1967 , boy I was blessed. My fave teams won in baseball and hockey.

The Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Canandiens of Montreal 4 games to 2 to win the Stanley Cup, and the st. Louis Cardinals defeated the Boston Red Sox to win the World Series.


How could an 11 year stand it, I mean really, doesn't it always happen this way. The low rumbling of thunder passes over my house at 61 Browning Ave, East York, and in the stillness I can still hear my mother calling upstairs, "Jim, is your window open ". I always had it open, looking downwards onto Browning  Ave., through the leafless branches of the maple tree on the front lawn.

Ice pellets turned into freezing rain and started to give the houses a cost of shinny shellac.  Pretty soon, the electrical wires were heavy with ice, and cars were sliding thru stop signs ,like a video game.

 People walking up and down Jackman Ave. , some on sleds being pulled by angry fathers, and mothers wondering why this storm had brought such a burden.

It is April, and it has started to snow again, well I guess the weather is getting colder, I can see a boy being pulled by the back bumper of a car and his feet sliding on the ice and snow on the street.

Back to hockey for a moment. Bower kicks out the puck against the Habs again, and Sawchuk stones them in another game. Keon, up to Pulford onto Armstrong and in the net for a score.

Oh how I love to replay these scenarios in my head, what with no real hockey to watch.

Yvan Cournoyer tests Terry Sawchuk of the Leafs with a deke, but Terry is quick with his trapper mitt to reach out and scoop up the puck.

In 1967, I was blessed with 2 of my favorite teams winning the prize, I want that feeling for my son.

I want the Leafs and Blue Jays to win their respective trophies.

For Kevin.


No comments:

Post a Comment